Publish a Website: Let’s Explore the World through Music
Goal: The goal of this discussion is to explore the history, culture, instruments, and musical elements of a specific style of non-Western music.
Description: In this project, you will create an informative website featuring the traditional music of a specific non-Western culture. (Note that the term “world music” in the context of this assignment refers to music that is not based in the Western tradition of music. Something to consider when choosing your topic is to make sure it is a style of music that is still in existence and performed, so you will be able to find musical examples and address all of the required elements of the assignment.
Here is a sample website that met the assignment requirements. (This example website includes a little too much direct quoting and the musical example needs a more developed explanation.)
The website should include the following:
- A summary of the chosen culture including a short history.
- A brief explanation of some beliefs and traditions of the culture.
- Description of the instruments used in that culture’s music.
- Explanation of the key attributes of the culture’s music, including melody, harmony, timbre, texture, rhythm and form. (If the style of music you choose does not include one or more of these musical elements, then you need to explain why that musical element is not present in the music.)
- Specific introduction to one piece of music from the culture. Include at least one example of the music, such as through linking to YouTube performances. Be sure to include a description of the musical example.
The above elements can either be included on one page of your website or separated into different pages.
Include your name on your website. Your website should include photos and video (either linked or embedded). Embedded photos and videos need to be cited.
Your choice of world music must be a style of traditional music that is non-Western or not from the Western tradition of music, therefore avoid choosing styles of music from the U.S., Canada, or Europe, including Jazz or any type of pop music (including hip hop). For example, a pop or rock band from Europe or Japan would not be appropriate for this assignment. Celtic or Irish music are also not appropriate styles of music because these are European styles of music. Also, because most students are already familiar with Reggae music, do not choose Reggae for your topic.
Sources must be valid, academic sources (i.e. Please do not use non-academic websites, such as Wikipedia or About.com). Your website should not contain more than 15% direct quotes and direct quotes must be in quotation marks. Direct quotes and paraphrased material must be cited in the body of the text and in a reference section. After your website is completed and published, submit your website link in Assignments